Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Goods!

Monday:

*This is my 961st post on this blog. Wow! It's been 4 years now since I started; having no clue what I was doing! I've worked up from about 3 posts a week to 6. Sometimes silly posts, sometimes meaningful posts, sometimes memory posts and a lot of times nonsensical posts. Thanks for sticking with me!

*Today, our first day of summer break, we walked to a park and had a picnic! It was really nice sitting with my 3 blondies, eating fresh berries and other light luncheon foods. Watching the boys play hide-and-seek, with a little cheating from each of them;) Sliding with Eliana down the slide and just enjoying a gorgeous not-too-hot, not-too-cool kind of day.

*During E's nap and while the boys were busy outside, I scrubbed the floors on my hands and knees. We finally had to toss our mop after many, many times of having to reattach the mop/sponge head every 10 seconds. Plus, apparently they don't make the sponges anymore. Sigh. So we have resorted to the good old-fashioned method of scrubbing with a bucket, hot water, sponges and a scrubber. I got volleyball knee pads to help the old knees but even with that protection, my knees are still red 5 1/2 hours later! Ouch! Maybe this is one of the chores I should deligate to someone else.....:)

*We enjoyed a Grilled Chicken Salad with homemade baguettes tonight. Great summer meal! I'm still so impressed that the boys chow down on salad with minimal complaining. Let me tell you, it was a LOT of work to get to this point!!!

*Ben took the boys out to the park to play some baseball after dinner. I almost opened my mouth to disagree, thinking that it is getting late and we have school in the morning....but we don't! So it's after their bedtime, they're still out playing and they're enjoying time with Daddy. Definitely more important!

*We received a "new-to-us" camera in the mail tonight from a friend! Can't wait to figure it out and start taking pictures. I've missed capturing moments of sibling love, berry-stained faces, shining eyes after hours of playing with friends, going to parks and so many more picture-perfect memories. Pictures here we come!

Hope you're off to a great start this week, too!

Grilled Chicken Salad

*  1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
*   1/2 cup pecans
*   1/3 cup red wine vinegar or raspberry blush vinegar (that's what I used!)
*   1/2 cup white sugar
*   1 cup vegetable oil (I used half canola/half olive oil)
*   1/2 onion, minced
*   1 teaspoon ground mustard
*   1 teaspoon salt
*   1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
*   Iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce and/or spinach leaves
*   1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, blueberries and/or oranges, depending on season

Directions

  1. Preheat the grill for high heat.
  2. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill chicken 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, cool, and slice.
  3. Meanwhile, place pecans in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pecans until fragrant, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
  4. In a blender, combine the red wine vinegar, sugar, vegetable oil, onion, mustard, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
  5. Arrange lettuce on serving plates. Top with grilled chicken slices, strawberries, and pecans. Drizzle with the dressing to serve.               

* I added cucumbers and carrots to our salad and used a mixture of iceberg and romaine lettuces. I'm not a fan of vinegar-y salad dressings but this one was actually very good on this salad! The raspberry vinegar added a really good flavor.

And here is the recipe I used for French Baguettes. I've made these several times and they always turn out great! I use part white and part white-wheat flour in mine. Definitely try!

                           

No comments:

Followers