Saturday, October 29, 2011

Middle of the Night Trauma

Well, we had an exciting night over here....but not in a good way:( In the middle of the night, Ben woke up suddenly asking me if we had anything for stomach pain. It took me a minute or two to clear my foggy brain but I found him some tums. He told me he had severe pain in his upper abdomen/lower chest area.

He followed me into the hallway and I saw immediately in the light that he was pale and breathing hard. I realized quickly that this was no minor pain or heartburn that he was complaining about but something far more serious. We decided to call 911, seeing how miserable he was and I was really afraid he was having a heart attack.

I got him down to the couch and got one shoe on before the paramedics showed up. They asked him a few questions and then took him to the local hospital. I was just standing in the living room shaking and praying with my whole heart and wondering what to do. Should I wake up all the kids and take them over or just wait? Did I have anyone to call to come help me?

I finally got ahold of Ben's mom, letting her know what had happened and it gave me such great comfort to know that I wasn't the only one praying for him.

Thankfully, not long after arriving in the E.R., Ben's pain subsided a bit and they were able to determine after monitoring him for a couple of hours that it wasn't his heart but possibly a gallbladder attack or a bad ulcer. They released him with some medicine to take over this next week until he can get in to see his doctor.

I piled the crew into the car at 4am to go pick him up. The boys were scared at first and jerked awake when I told them where we had to go. We all came home and tried to snatch a little more sleep. The kiddos went right back to bed til about 7:30am but Ben and I were up off and on because he started feeling bad again.

I was so nauseous this morning, probably from little to no sleep or from eating what Ben ate (we think the food plus severe stress probably triggered whatever happened) so he and I were pretty much worthless! B has been sleeping off and on all day, having moments where he feels and acts better and then times where I can see that he is feeling bad again, although with the pain not as severe as in the middle of the night.

If you think of us, please pray for wisdom for the doctors to find out what's going on for sure and for protection over our family, as we have really been battling fear over different things this week and feeling under attack.

I'm hoping for a better night tonight! We all are...

3 comments:

Emily S. said...

How scary!! Definitely will be praying for you all!

aunt t said...

We are praying for Ben that God would heal him and give peace and joy to all of you!

Charity said...

Oh wow, that is scary. It would be so hard to stay at home not knowing what was happening at the hospital. On the flip side, it would have been hard to take 3 kids in the middle of the night to wait in the waiting room of the emergency room. I'm glad it wasn't anything with his heart and I hope it clears up soon!

Followers