Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tornadoes & T-Ball

Woo-ee! We had a long, sleepless night last night! Thank you to my caring MIL, we got a heads up that nasty weather was headed our way last night. I was up until probably a quarter til 12 looking for weather warnings on the internet and watching the lightening storm moving swiftly in outside.

I knew there were tornado watches in our area til 1am but finally dozed off when it seems like the storm had calmed down.

Only to be woken up by Ben at 12:30am. He usually sleeps through storms and wakes up the next day and is like, "Really? A bad storm?" or "What? The children were up 7 times? I didn't hear a thing!"

He's very blessed to sleep that deeply:)

Anyways, I woke up when he did and realized the storm that I thought had calmed down was waaaaaayy worse. As in, one of the scariest storms I've ever seen. The lightening was almost continuous, the thunder loud and cracking and the rain coming down so ferociously that you could not see a thing outside except the eery lights.

We knew it was really bad and were half-expecting the tornado sirens that went off about 2 minutes later right as the power went out. Even half-expecting them, my hands started shaking and my heart was pounding! Ben said, "Get the kids!" We both headed towards their bedrooms and snatched up our blissfully sleeping little ones plus armfuls of pillows and special lovies and herded everyone downstairs to the basement.

Thankfully, due to all the storms and power outages we've had lately, I was stocked with freshly batteried flashlights nearby just in case. We grabbed those, too, but thankfully and very surprisingly, the power outage was very brief and the lights came back on.

We huddled in the basement waiting with an air of excitment hovering around us. The boys were scared and fascinated. Eliana was looking around like "What in the world is going on? This is kind of fun..."

We stayed down til just after 1am when the sirens were off and the storm visably calmed down. Then we re-settled everyone in bed and prayed they would drift off again. E cried for a minute but went right back to sleep but the boys were so hyped up that it took them awhile. They were really scared of the continual lightening and thunder but finally they, too, settled down both in the same bed and fell asleep:)

I was so jumpy for awhile afterward because you know how they say a tornado sounds like a freight train? That is a very unhelpful statement when you live right next to a freight train line.

So everytime I heard a train coming for the next half hour or so, I would jump out of bed and check! I finally joined the rest of my family in slumber around 2am, only to be woken up by my chirping birdie babe at 5:30am.

I was tired today:)

We all were tired today.

But we are thankful we're safe and it was only a middle of the night adventure to talk about! The boys played "tornado" most of the morning down in the basement. E took several naps to catch up on her lost sleep and was only slightly irritable. Even I got to take a little snooze after getting the boys to rest quietly with books.

Hopefully tonight will be quieter!
```````````````````
 Here are some pictures of last night's t-ball game!
 Samuel next up to bat!
Samuel practicing catching and throwing before the game started.

 Making sure I'm watching;)
 Running to first base!
 The after game high-fives!
 The happy player;)
 "Is the game almost over? I want some ice cream!" ~Z
 "If only I could just get...some...grass..."
 "I am determined to get this grass, mommy. Just try to stop me..."
"Ah! That's better! I knew it would taste good!"

Nothing tastes better after a hot game than a vanilla ice cream cone:)

Here's to some uninterrupted sleep tonight!!

1 comment:

grandma said...

How fun is that baseball game with your little S. I remember it well memories of Uncle Mike when he was that age. Love looking at back gr. and seeing green grass. It must feel wonderful after living in city apts for so many years.

Followers