Friday, July 15, 2011

Sole-Mama

 Well, the kiddos and I are flying solo this weekend while Ben is back in OH for a family wedding. I admit that it's a bit tiring to care for a grumpy, sick baby and two energetic boys by myself all day and night. Thankfully, I had some good company this afternoon in the form of my wonderful friend, Miss D! She was so kind to come all the way out to visit us and lavish attention on my socially-starved children, chunky-monkey baby and little furball.

Not to mention the only adult in the house who may or may not have been starved for some adult conversation.

That would be me:)

Eliana was up all night last night, fussy and feverish and was the same most of the day today. This afternoon, while not her happy, dimply bright baby-self, was at least not suffering from a fever and/or general miserableness. We'll see how tonight goes.

But my heart sank when Samuel came inside from where he was playing with his wild, much-recovered brother and their new buddy Mikey, and complained of tummy-pain. It was the same way Zakkai started ealier this week....

He didn't eat much for dinner and felt a bit warm before bed but I am praying that we'll all wake up germ-free and will find a good way to pass our daddy-less day.

None of us likes when he's gone and we miss him terribly! I used to be really overwhelmed and afraid of the thought of temporary single parenting days but that was quickly squelched when Ben spent the whole summer in Turkey 3 years ago and I had no choice but to get through the long days and nights by myself.

It did bring me a whole new appreciation for why God created both mommies and daddies for a family:)
The first few days that we were home, Eliana would not let my mom hold her or even look at her without giving her the oddest looks! A sort of half-smile/half-grimace. She watched my mom very carefully almost as if she was wondering why that woman looked so much like me and yet so different?


 "Who IS this lady?"
 "I'm not sure how long she can distract me with this book...."
 Zakkai adores everything about the country! He plays hard outside. He shoveled the driveway, watered the garden, helped Papa dig post holes for their new fence and much more! He was constantly dirty, sweaty, tired and as happy as a lark. Just the way a little boy should be in the summer!
 And there's Samuel, always looking for a chance to hold his beloved little sister! Although, when we brought Friedrich Kitty home he said, "Mommy, why is the kitten cuter that Eliana?!" I replied that the kitten is cute in a different...furry sort of way and definitely adorable but not cuter than our sweet butterball!
 Samuel enjoyed every minute of birthday anticipation, planning, partying and little-turning-big-boy wonder! Still can't believe he is 6 already....sigh.
The day after we arrived, we spent some good time with Ben's family, meeting his brother's soon-to-be wife for the first time. Eliana was much adored by her loving grandma!

And now I am off to savor the quietness and stillness of my home before I, too, join my little chickadees in slumber.....probably sooner rather than later:)

No comments:

Followers