Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th! I was sad a week ago to think that we wouldn't be in town to celebrate with family so it was extra nice (and extra sad~details in moment) to have today.

We didn't go to a parade, usually an annual event, which made me sad but we did breakfast at a local favorite restaurant with some family followed by a girls' trip to Joann's as my sister and I are bound and determined to finish our quilts this year! We are getting help from my mom and aunt to get us all ready for the quilting part and I am so excited to finally be in the last stage!

It was a busy afternoon getting ready for the big family picnic at my mom's but something very exciting happened for Samuel today! He learned how to ride a bike without training wheels!!! Just in time for a special birthday surprise coming his way in a few days:) Shhh!!

He was SO proud and wanted to ride the rest of today. It was so cute! We are so proud of how quickly he picked it up and how he tried even though he was scared. Yet another "big kid" milestone. I'm thinking next will be losing teeth!

The celebration today was filled with yummy food, fireworks (that may or may not have started a small fire in the neighboring cornfield...), bubble-blowing, cornhole challenges, too much dessert, game-playing, catching up and laughter. A typical family event:)

I want to say a very Happy Birthday to my Uncle K.! I'm sure some of his family will pass the message on to him:) We missed you (and your whole family~sniff!) so much today and it always feels like some of the celebration is missing since you aren't there. I made an angel food cake with homemade whipped cream, strawberries and blueberries and imagined that it was for you! I hope you had a wonderful day and know that we were thinking of you from across the miles. I love you!

And to the rest of my family in Texas, it was really hard not to have you here today. You are SO missed and no celebration is the same without you. I had a lump in my throat this afternoon because I kept half-expecting your cars to pull up. I hope you had a wonderful day today:)

The rest of this week is going to be so busy! So far we have had a birthday celebration, a party to welcome Ben's brother home and to meet his fiancee, a quilting party, a 4th of July party, game playing and we have more get together's with our families, a birthday party, a sleepover with my nephews and more!

I'm already getting tired just thinking about it;) But I wouldn't trade any of these days up for anything. I soak up these family times to last me for the next several months before we come back again.

Hope you had a great celebration today!

3 comments:

grandma said...

You said it all Heidi a perfect day had by all except as you said missing the whole family. (I wonder if our whole family will ever all get together again) But at least we all love each other and are always in our hearts and prayers never forgotten. Thank you for expessing how I feel.

aunt t said...

Thank You Heidi! Your words make me feel all warm and sad at the same time. We miss all the family on these special occasions. We LoVE You!

Charity said...

I had a lump in my throat most of the day too. I imagined what you guys would be doing throughout the day. I'm determined to come home for 4th of July one of these years. Maybe next year it will work out.

Followers