Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hop Brown Toad

 It was a special day around here: Two of my very favorite little people had "birthdays" to celebrate:)

Zakkai was very happy to hear that as of today he is officially.....4 1/2 years old:) I cannot believe he is entering the second half of 4 and on his way to 5. He was my baby for so long and it's hard to let him grow up.

Oh, fine! It's hard for me to let any of them grow up!!

Zakkai, after having the thought planted in his head by his conniving older brother, told me he expects to have some chocolate cake tomorrow to celebrate.

Not sure when 1/2 birthdays turned into real live birthday celebrations.....

The boys spent some really good time playing in the rain this morning. They did not even want to come in for lunch! They got buckets and cups and collected rainwater. Eventually they decided to come inside and got warmed up with a nice bath and cozy clothes:)


 This afternoon they were back out again and found Mr. Frog! They were completely enthralled by the little visitor and sat watching him for long moments. They asked me to take a picture of him to remember later.

Perhaps he needs a name like Morton the Mouse?
 Ferdinand? Freddy? Felix?
 I bravely demonstrated to my boys that they could even touch the frog very gently with a finger (followed by rigorous hand washing!). Zakkai was the only one who dared to try and the frog jumped straight up in the air, scaring off a year or two of their lives! I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.....:)
 And this little Froggy celebrated 10 months of wonderful life with us!! 10 months....
 Every month when I look back I think that she has changed sooo much but this past month has been her most eventful month, I think!

In less than 2 weeks, she has learned to crawl, pull-up and gotten her very first toofer! Such a big girl!

She:

*Wears 6-9 month clothes. She only has two pairs of 3-6 mo jammies that fit and I sadly packed everything else away this week. We find out her stats next Friday!

*Is changing almost by the minute! She is learning to clap, waves bye-bye, makes funny ham faces (as you can see in yesterday's video) and babbles constantly now. She used to have quiet days but not much anymore! She is experimenting with new sounds to add to "Dada" and "Baba." She says, "Ssssssssssss" and I heard a "Nanana" today and twice (only when I am around the corner), she has said, "Mamam!!"

*Screams very loudly. She screams with joy and frustration both. She likes to scream in her crib when she thinks no one is coming to get her quickly enough. It's a very adamant "I want out right this minute or I'll.....scream!" scream. Such a stinker!

*Loves to be kissed up her back and the backs of her arms. Never fails to get giggles!

*Has finally learned to appreciate "Patty Cake." She used to look at me like, "Here we go again..." but now I can get good smiles!

*Is thoroughly enjoying her new found independence. During awake hours, you can find her scooting around the downstairs inspecting anything that catches her eye or pulling up onto baskets and onto the bottom shelf of the entertainment center. Or in the mornings, she spends many a happy moment destroying my bookshelf (I picked up 21 books this morning...)

*Eats like a champ! She loves peas, string cheese (cut up), blueberries (they finally grew on her!), all vegetables, bread, cheerios, puffs, bananas (sometimes) and is starting to like cottage cheese. She doesn't like yogurt (like her mommy!) so far! Her table foods repetoire is expanding daily:)

*Fights her naps like crazy now that she is so "Big!" She will be completely exhausted with red-rimmed eyes and yawning every other second and will fight naps for even up to 2-3 hours. Yesterday she was completely hysterical after fighting a nap for 2 1/2 hours and I picked her up and rocked her and she sniffled and snuffled her way to sleep on my chest within a few minutes. All I could think when I looked down at her exhausted, tear-stained face was, "You silly, silly, baby."

*Wants to play with S and Z. They aren't too sure about the whole thing but she is!!

*Adores her baths still and water of any kind......as shown in this next picture:)
 E was playing with lids in the kitchen and got ahold of Zakkai's cup. While I was making dinner, I failed to notice the cup leaking out water all over the floor. But she noticed! I heard her slapping the floor with great glee and finally realized she was lying in a huge puddle of water having the time of her life smacking it!

Happy 10 months, you wonderful, sweet, precious Joy-Baby!!
And last but not least, I was feeling so much more myself today and decided to make some homemade soup (so I could actually eat with my family:) and cornbread! It turned out SO good!

We had Chicken Tortilla Soup. I followed the recipe, only increasing serving size to 6 (you can adjust serving sizes on allrecipes) and instead of using chicken breasts, I used some shredded roasted chicken! It was very flavorful! Maybe next time I eat it, I'll be able to chew the chicken:)

And I served it with Cornbread made in my cast iron skillet!! I tried a new recipe and it was very good, although I wouldn't recommend grabbing the handle with your bare hands....even by accident. It hurts.

 I've never made it in my skillet but have heard it's great. It was!! The boys were very excited to see this new phenomenom and really enjoyed it.

And I was thrilled to eat something other than applesauce, Campbell's soup and pudding!

3 comments:

grandma said...

Oh Heidi I didn't know you didnt like yogurt either. I thought I was the only one in family who has to put gobs of fruit in it to eat it. Oh well like granddaughter and grgranddaughter.

Grandma W said...

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better. Little Miss E has certainly found her mobility. When does S start school?

Emily S. said...

She's so proud of herself for her new accomplishments! A is starting to outgrow her 12month clothes so if you need any stuff, just let me know. And I just discovered that she has all 4 canines coming in so she'll be up to 8 teeth soon, while little E is just now getting numero uno. Isn't it funny how much variance there is, especially when it comes to teeth?

Followers