Wednesday, January 5, 2011

9-1-1

I often have really random, life-altering (ha!) thoughts in the middle of the night when I'm up feeding the baby. It could be running lists of all the things I have to do or worries that are crowding my mind. It could be thoughts about the day or something I'm looking foward to.

It can also be totally random, where-did-that-come-from thoughts! For instance, in the wee hours of this morning (and I know there was a thought process here but I can't remember how I got there...) I suddenly thought, "What if something happened to Ben or I, would the boys know how to get help? I need to teach them to call 911!"

Told you it was random. I have waaaaay too much time on my hands in the middle of the night:)

So fast forward to breakfast time. I had a few extra minutes to chat with the boys while waiting for E to wake up. I sat down with them and told them I wanted to talk to them about something. I told them there was a special number that they could call if there was an emergency (and I stressed emergency esp to Z, whom I can totally picture calling 911 for the fun of it!). I went through a couple of scenarios:

"Like...if mommy fell and broke her leg and needed help, you could get the phone and (bring it to me!:) call 911 and they would say, '911, What's your emergency?' And you would say, 'My mommy broke her leg and needs help.' And they would ask for your address and you would say___ (make boys repeat address)."

So, Samuel thought it was kind of fun to role play a little and Z was doing whatever it is that he does when I'm talking and then a few minutes later Z said, "But when did you break your leg?" I laughed and said, "I didn't break my leg, Zakkai, I was just making that up to teach you about 911." He laughed and said, "But when did you break it?" goose.

So I told them they could also run upstairs and get the neighbors, too. Which let to a discussion on opening the door and where the neighbors were, etc. (Z likes to ask questions!) And then he randomly says, "And if you died and Samuel didn't want to call on the phone then I would call!" I tried to change the topic after that...


Samuel started to get upset about us talking about getting hurt and told me he didn't want to talk about it anymore and covered his ears! I explained that I was just trying to teach them about calling 911 so they would know what to do but hopefully they never will have to use it!

Anyone watch Rescue 911 when they were younger? There were always little kids calling and saving their parents lives! And now, hopefully mine are prepared:)

Blast from the Past: When I was younger, my sister and I were babysitting our young cousins at my grandparent's house. Little did I know that my aunt had just taught them how to dial 911 in case of an emergency. Unbeknownst to me, as we were playing with them, my cousin, who was 3 at the time, snuck off to the other room and called 911.

I didn't realize this until the door rang and I looked out the peephole and saw police men standing there and several police cars pulled up haphazardly outside! The best part? My sister and I ran and hid with all the kids for a few minutes before I got the gumption to open the door. I was scared out of my mind! The policemen were understanding but gave a stern lecture to my cousin about not calling for fun!

I am sincerely hoping that Zakkai does not recreate that scenario for me!

But this time, I won't run and hide;)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````



My silly baby girl making faces:) She thinks it's really funny when we stick our tongues out!

1 comment:

grandma said...

Well Heidi you gave me the best laugh that I've had in a long time. About calling 911. Oh my how funny is that little Z. I'm waiting to here the next blog will be Z called 9ll. I loved him saying when did you break your leg. Oh laugh laugh

Followers