Wednesday, February 6, 2013

100 days.


Zakkai is happy to share with you that he is 100 days smarter because he has been in kindergarten for 100 days now! Last Friday was the 100th day of school and they celebrated with some different activities like decorating these really cool glasses:)



Samuel refused to try on the glasses, even with Zakkai's most insistent pleas. But he was kind enough to smile for me:) He looks so old in this picture, wow!

The boys do journaling at school and different writing activities to improve handwriting skills and writing skills. Here is a recent sample of Zakkai's that makes me smile:

"Write About Your Favorite Breakfast Food. Why Is That Your Favorite?"

My favorite breakfast food is pancaks. They are serupy wen they have serup on them and they are delishes.

He's such a funny boy! He was also singing a really funny song tonight, 3 seconds before he fell asleep in front of our eyes, that goes to the tune of "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain."

"There's a continent that is very, very cold
I don't think you'll want to go there when you're old.
There's a continent that's cold
There's a continent that's cold
There's a continent that's very, very cold!"

Haha.
`````````````````````````````````````````
Samuel recently declared that he would like to be an inventor when he grows up! Some of the first things he "might" like to invent? Skittles Ice Cream and Peanut Milk.

Mmmm....:)

````````````````````````````````````````
Tonight I made a homemade Tomato Bisque Soup. I am not at all a fan of tomato soup, call me crazy, however this was very flavorful and much, much better than nasty Campbell's and got 5 stars at least from my tomato-soup lovin' family!! Samuel has asked me to serve this every night and since I value his tried and true (and picky) opinion, I thought I'd share!

Creamy Tomato Bisque Soup

 2 TB olive oil
1 stalk celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced (I used orange)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 1/2 lb. grape tomatoes OR 2 lg tomatoes, peeled (I used 2 lg tomatoes + 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 c. chicken stock or broth, reduced sodium.
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1/3 c. fresh basil, diced (I didn't have basil so I used some parsley and italian seasoning!)
1 c.half and half, cream or whole milk (I used fat-free half and half)
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese


Preparation:
1) Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add and saute celery, red pepper and garlic for 2 minutes. Add zucchini and tomatoes and 1/2 tsp salt and cook 5 minutes.

2) Pour in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. If using grape tomatoes, they will start to pop. Press some tomato pieces against the side of pot to check for tenderness.

3) Remove soup from heat. Add sugar, salt, pepper and basil and/or seasoning. Cool 10 minutes.

4) Process soup in small batches in food processor or blender until desired consistency. (Do use small batches, I didn't the first blend and the whole thing exploded out of the blender and burned my hand!) Pour soup back into pan and warm back up.

5) Add half and half and Parmesan cheese and cook until heated through but not boiling. Season with additional salt and pepper, if you want and enjoy! I served it with garlic toast and it was a great combo!

Will be adding this to my favorite meals list which will make my crew happy!

3 comments:

Charity said...

That soup sounds delish!

Aunt T said...

Uncle Kimn would love that soup, I will make it!

mommyoflove3 said...

Let me know if you like it!

Followers