Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cleptomaniac in the house

zakkai has a bit of a problem. It started with hiding my keys in his bed. And then Reese's under his bed. His boots in the closet. My booklight in his room.

And today....today he suddenly came out of his room with a stuffed animal I've never seen before in my life! His eyes became very shifty upon close questioning and his little creative brain was working hard to come up with a plausible reason why a strange beanie baby is in our house tonight.

The thing I love though is that he always tells me the truth in the end. He can't help it! I just wish he'd tell it to me the first time;)

First he found the stuffed mouse in their closet. And then as I insisted that it wasn't ours, he moved to the story that he "found it at school on the carpet." It then changed from being no one's stuffed animal to suddenly being his friend Taylor's that she accidentally forgot.

He sat out for a very long time and after which, we had a serious talk about "stealing." He's been known to come home from school with paper clips and little random things he picks up, even a cell phone battery a couple weeks ago!

But even as his orneriness moves to a more mature level and changes from coloring on our very white walls to sneaking things, his conscience and sweet heart seem to be maturing as well.

He has been voluntarily admitting to wrong lately, even when I didn't know he did anything in the first place! He came out with my booklight the other day and before I could say a word, handed it to me and said (with his big baby blue's), "I'm very sorry that I took this, Mommy and I won't do it ever again!"

How can you possibly be mad at that???

How if only we can get his itchy fingers under control, I think we'll be okay....
`````````````````````````````````
Eliana is really growing fast! We are starting to get lots of comments at school like, "She's like a real baby now instead of this tiny sleeping creature!" or "She is so big now!"

She's really blossomed again this week, finally showing that she is back to herself after her illness. She's congested again but seems to be happy still. She is talking a lot again (she has a lot to say!) in her sweet, soft voice and laughing. I put her in the Moby wrap a couple of times when we went to the park and her little head just swivels left and right as she tries to take everything in! She really loves to be outside:)

She's starting to move her body around a whole lot more, too. She rolled over (stomach to back) 3 times this afternoon and is rolling halfway over from back to stomach. She is always turned sideways in her crib, too, with her feet up on the side rails:) We love this little creature!
```````````````````````````````````````````
Samuel is learning so many new things at school now! They are starting to work on telling time, the value of pennies and nickels, telling the temperature outside, and more. It is funny when he comes home spouting off facts about things I didn't even know he knew about! (take a minute to decipher that sentence....)

He loves to argue with us, like we don't know what we're talking about. Must be something just born in kids: "Watch out, that's hot!" Kid's response: "No it's not."  "Bananas are yellow." Kid's response: "No, they're not!"

Wow, I wish I'd known everything I needed to know at 5 years old:)

But even if he thinks he knows everything and raises Zakkai right along side us, he does have this amazingly wonderful ability to elicit immediate smiles and laughs out of his sister with his sweet, high-pitched voice and gentle spirit. He's a great big brother!

No comments:

Followers