Sunday, May 29, 2011

Goodness

Tonight's Breakfast For Dinner is brought to you by Pumpkin. And Goodness. And Love.

Best tradition I ever started!

Usually we have fresh fruit with our special Sunday night dinners, only I am biding my time til the 1st when the ole' budget starts over and I can fill our fridge again!



So I was scrounging around in the seriously depleted pantry, hoping for a genius idea to spring out at me to serve with our scrambled eggs, when I discovered the last unopened can of pumpkin leftover from the winter. (not that it's really spring here yet.)



I toyed with the idea of making pumpkin waffles but since that would require making syrup, too.....I decided to look for a different recipe.



Meet Pumpkin Coffee Cake. My new best friend. (Well, as much as a food can be a best friend anyways:)



DEFINITELY a must-try recipe, my friends!! Esp if your weather is yuck-o like ours is and you haven't banned oven-use for the next 3 months or so yet.


Pumpkin Coffee Cake


Topping:


1/3 cup brown sugar


1/3 cup white sugar


1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


1/3 cup flour


2 TB cold butter, cut into small pieces


Cake:


1/2 cup butter, softened


3/4 c-1 c white sugar (recipe calls for 1 cup~think next time I'll reduce it)


2 eggs


1 cup sour cream (I substituted vanilla yogurt)


1 cup pumpkin puree


1 tsp vanilla


2 cups all-purpose flour (would substitute 1/2 whole wheat flour next time!)


1 tsp baking soda


1 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I also added extra cinnamon!)


1/4 tsp salt



Preparation:

1. Combine topping ingredients, except butter, and set aside.


2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.


3. In small bowl, combine pumpkin, sour cream (or yogurt) and vanilla. Mix well. In another small bowl, combine dry ingredients well.


4. Add pumpkin mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture alternately (How many times can I say mixture in one sentence!!) and beat on low speed until just blended.


5. Divide batter between 2 greased 8-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle topping over both and dot with butter pieces.


6. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Fantastic! If you wanted to be sneaky, you could add all sorts of good things to this (carrot or squash purees, shredded zucchini, etc). The boys inhaled it!



Think about us this week or say a quick prayer or two~it's going to be a doozy of a week! B and I sat down to work out our schedules for the week and especially the last few days of the week are so crazy we have it scheduled hour by hour.



Plus it would be great to pray that we have enough help and that all goes smoothly! Thanks!

No comments:

Followers