Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tow Trucks N' Muffins

 I love fall! Have I mentioned that yet? :) It's been so nice to wake up to crisp cool air and wear long sleeves and jeans. The boys love getting in "cozy" jammies at nighttime and wearing sweatshirts when we go out. Homey, comforting foods and changing leaves, snuggling under snuggies (a must have!) and drinking hot chocolate...

Oh yes! I love fall!
 On Sunday after church we came home to find a big tow truck preparing to tow away a junky car that had been sitting in front of our apt missing a wheel. The second we got upstairs, the boys rushed outside on the porch to watch the goings-on very intently!
 I mean enthralled. Have I told you that Samuel says he "might" want to be a tow-truck driver when he grows up?:)
 I love the things that capture these boys' hearts and minds!
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I have been searching for ways to bake up these delicious apples we picked before Ben eats them all (ahem!). My first apple pie of the season turned out beautifully on Sunday! Just in time to share with some wonderful friends of ours! I cut up enough apples to freeze a pie insert, too!

And then I decided we needed some yummy apple bread or muffins to grab for our early school mornings. This is what I found:
Turned out DE-licious! Ben and I may have snuck one tonight:)

Apple Streusel Muffins
Ingredients:
3 cups flour (I used 2 cups white/1 cup whole wheat)
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet/tart apples are)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I substituted apple cider for 1/2 of that)**may need to add more liquid
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled apples
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 TB butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 18 muffin cups.

2. In a lg bowl, measure dry ingredients together and stir with whisk until combined. Beat eggs in a small bowl; add milk/cider, vanilla and melted butter.

3. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined. (I found the batter to be very thick and added more apple cider at this point; probably 1/4 cup or so) Add chopped apples and fold in.

4. Fill 18 muffin cups. Mix streusel ingredients together and sprinkle liberally over muffin batter. Dot tops of muffins with tiny butter pieces.

5. Bake at 400 for 18 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

They smell awfully DELICIOUS when baking!!!

No comments:

Followers