Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mawwiage and Delato

"Mawwiage is what bwings us togethah today." (Can you guess the movie?!)

Today, Samuel was looking at some wedding pics of Ben and I and asking me some questions. He stared at one of my favorite pictures for awhile in which Ben and I are looking into each other's faces with our arms wrapped loosely around each other, smiling. Samuel said, "Mommy, was Daddy young in this picture?"

I told him yes, Daddy was younger and so was I. That picture is almost 7 1/2 years old! He looked some more and then turned around, half hiding his face behind a chair and said shyly, "Mommy, when I grow up can I be married with you?"

At first I didn't really understand what he was saying and asked him to say it again. He repeated it and I said, "Well, no buddy, you can't." Before I could explain he said, "Is it because you'll be too old?"

I tried not to smile because I could see how serious he was about this. I replied, "No, buddy. It's not because I'll be too old, it's because I'm your mommy and I can't marry you. I'm always going to be your mommy." He immediately hid his face all the way behind the chair but not before I saw the tears well up in his eyes.

He has such a sweet, tender heart. Tears over growing up and having things change to realizing that he can't hold on to me forever and marry me. I pray his beautiful little heart will be protected as he grows and changes and faces the trials of life. Please, Lord!
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
On the other hand, my wild man (who has been an incredibly good listener the past few days!) was playing remote control cars with Samuel and said, "Samuel, how about your car comes to my house and they have some, some delata."

I was knitting and I looked up and thought to myself, "Delata?" Is he trying to say, "Latte?" Who would he have heard that from?

Samuel must've been thinking along the same lines because he looked puzzled and said, "Lata? What's that, Zakkai? I don't know what you're talking about."

Z said, "Delata! 'Member when Grandma came and we had delata wif her?" And then the lightbulbs went off in my (sometimes) hard-working brain and I realized he was trying to say, "Gelato!"

His face lit up as soon as I corrected him. And so did Samuel's:) I asked Z what flavor of gelato his truck was going to have and he said, "Just gelato. Gelato, gelato, gelato!"

But his next answer was, of course, "chocolate!" That's my boy!

1 comment:

Angela Kim said...

Heidi, your story of Samuel asking to marry you brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet little boy he is. I pray that God gives him peace and even joy and excitement about growing up, along with the assurance he'll always be yours :)

Followers