Thursday, December 11, 2014

Nasty Flu Shot and Recipe!

 Yesterday at their doctor's appointment, Eliana and Zakkai received their flu shots. (Samuel got his awhile ago.) I always wonder if they are really worth it but thought, especially with Eliana being in preschool for the first year, it would be a good idea. After her reaction to it and hearing belatedly that they aren't even working that well this year, I wish I hadn't done it!


This was how Eliana was all afternoon yesterday. She stopped using her arm immediately after getting the shot and as soon as we got home started crying and didn't stop. After a half and hour of not even being able to put her down, I finally laid down with her in our bed and stroked her head until she fell asleep. She was a complete wreck even after a little nap!

Right before Awana, I was able to get some Tylenol in her and she hung out with me last night instead of going to her Cubby class. Poor baby!


This is how her arm looks today! The red marks are from the band aid (sensitive skin anyone??) and the bruise from the shot. The problem is she is old enough to remember how bad this made her feel so I have a feeling we'll have to do the nasal mist next year or nothing at all!!


She started out a little grumpy and sore this morning but improved a lot through the day. I thought she looked so cute today! This is a cute reversible pinafore top I made for her last year.


The other side is gray but she wanted to wear the pink side, of course!

I made a delicious dinner tonight for the first time so I wanted to pass it on! We were quite low on food at the beginning of this month so I took a good chunk of this month's budget and spent it at Costco, leaving a small amount left for each remaining week in December. I was perusing the internet for low-cost, yet delicious meals and found this one from Better Homes and Gardens.

Chicken With Parmesan Noodles

Ingredients:
9 oz. angel hair pasta (or how much ever your family uses!)
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 TB butter
1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used chicken tenderloins.)
6 TB pesto
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (the recipe calls for finely shredded but I used grated out of the can!)
Olive oil (optional)
Fresh basil (optional)

Directions:
1. Prepare angel hair pasta according to package directions.

2. Melt 1 TB butter in large skillet and add carrot slices. Saute until just beginning to become tender, 3-5 minutes. Add chicken and cook on med-low heat until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in 4 TB pesto and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.

3. Drain angel hair when cooked and stir in remaining TB of butter (or leave out!), 2 TB pesto and a few TB of parmesan cheese. Serve with chicken mixture and more Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil, if desired and sprinkle with fresh basil. Enjoy!

*I cut up the chicken in bite-sized pieces and served the chicken mixture over the pesto noodles for all of us except E, who suffers from the common young child "don't let my food touch" syndrome:)

We sprinkled a little more Parmesan cheese on top and served with a side of broccoli and everyone raved about it! I didn't use pepper (I never do!) or the extra olive oil or basil. It was still really great! I wasn't sure about the carrots, as it seemed like an odd addition to the meal but the pesto made everything taste so delicious. Mmm! This is definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Followers