Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First Day of School!

 This morning was an absolute whirlwind, trying to jump back into a morning school routine! Samuel woke up feeling sick to his stomach, probably from nerves. Unfortunately, I can easily identify with that since I suffered from terrible "school sickness" when I was growing up. I still remember throwing up all over my desk in school....

Thankfully, he was much better after a good breakfast. The baby came about 10 minutes before we had to walk out the door so we were busy, finishing packing lunches, brushing teeth, putting school supplies in the bookbags, etc!


Here are my big boys! Third grade for Samuel and first grade for Zakkai! Aren't they so cute?!


Zakkai is SO excited to be in first grade and in Samuel's school now. The boys lined up in different sections of the parking lot so Ben went with Samuel and I stayed with Zakkai. It'll be tough from now on when it's just me dropping off and going between the two!


Here is Z with two of his classmates and his teacher, Mrs S! She said she was SO excited it worked out to have Zakkai in her class and have us as one of her families. We are so thankful for her!


Ben said Samuel's teacher, Mrs D, is very, very sweet and Samuel really likes her already. He had a tough time last year because he had a rowdy class and his teacher, whom we really really liked, was very loud, something he doesn't feel so comfortable with. His new teacher said she doesn't like loud noises and yelling and he was thrilled about that:)


Eliana wore her backpack to school, too! She really missed her brothers a lot today. Thankfully, she was a bit distracted because I took her and the baby to my MOPS bible study so that helped. She said she wants to go to preschool and I told her next year she gets to go! (sniff!)

The boys were so happy when I picked them up. Zakkai was so excited because he gets his very own desk for the first time (he always sat at a table before) and I thought that was really cute! He mentioned like four times that he gets to use his new scissors and earbuds tomorrow. It doesn't take much to make him happy!

Samuel got his promised stuffed animal so he was thrilled about that and this year he has a classroom that is upstairs, instead of down like the previous two years. He already left his lunchbox at school and it was only the first day......

This morning at MOPS, it was one of the mornings that really felt God-orchestrated, for lack of a better description. I was heavy hearted from last night and feeling a little chaotic from the morning. It was supposed to be our last meeting of the summer and instead of starting the video right away, the ladies got to talking. Imagine my surprise when the topic strangely turned to children and when to give them "THE" talk about the birds and the bees. Coincidental? I think not.

I don't usually talk too much during the meetings, instead preferring to take things in. But I did speak up and shared briefly what had happened last night with our boys and that we were struggling with this very thing and how much sooner you have to talk to kids nowadays. Now we just have to figure out how to reel things back in and start at square one instead of square 14. Oh, I pray they can forget the things they were told and exposed to!

The moms were so incredibly encouraging and I think it opened a lot of their eyes to how you cannot sit back and just pretend it all doesn't exist anymore. You have to be incredibly proactive as a parent these days, if you don't want your kids to be bombarded with adult content and/or wordly filth at a young age.

I got a little more of the story this afternoon from one of the neighbor kids who passed the information on to my boys and I am going to have to go talk to two of the neighboring mothers tomorrow. Please pray I have the wisdom to know what to say and how to say it and that these kids can be protected! We haven't decided how to or if we will even approach the parents of one of the children involved. It's really complicated.

Samuel is the one my heart hurts for the most. I found out that he has been carrying this around for at least a week and a half or two, which would explain some very unusual and confusing behavioral changes we have noticed in him. He is so sensitive that it is easy to tell when things are bothering him and my heart breaks to know that he has been afraid to tell us because he knew something was not okay and he was embarrassed. Please pray for him to find peace and for us to keep reassuring him how much we love him and that none of this is his fault! He is such a sweet boy.

And to end on a lighter note....tonight at dinnertime, we were discussing school year bedtimes. We decided Samuel can now stay up until 8pm, since he is older and often likes to read in bed before falling asleep anyways. But we were trying to decide what time to get Z to sleep, as he is often much more tired than Samuel. Zakkai broke in and said, "You can put me to sleep whatever time you want!"

Ben said, "Okay, your bedtime is 6:15pm. You have 6 minutes til bedtime!" Zakkai backpedaled really quickly and said, "Well, you can put me to bed anytime after 7 o'clock, okay?"

To which we immediately responded, "Okay, then 7:01 will be your bedtime!" He jumped in again with, "Anytime after 7:15 or 7:30 is okay for my bedtime, okay?" We had a lot of fun teasing him because he started out so willing but then kept pushing it back farther and farther. He is such a funny boy! We ended up deciding on 7:15, since he really does need the extra rest, but he is still holding out for 7:30pm.

Always, pushing the boundaries....

2 comments:

Grandma W said...

I am so glad the first day went well. Busy, but well. I am praying for wisdom form above for you today. Love you.

grandma said...

I am also praying..Grandpa always says we should pray he reveals just what we need to know..and we can handle that..no more...Sounds like He revealed some thing to you..Thank you Lord..now you can deal with that..Praying always..Love

Followers