Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Soup D'Jour!

I made some rockin' soup tonight! At least we thought so and my opinion was highly bolstered by a friend who knows practically everything. So...rockin' soup it is!

There's something that makes me so happy about having a nice meal at the end of the day. Icing to the cake is when not only is it a good meal but the boys eat it, too. Especially the more picky of the bunch. (cough *Samuel* cough). We have been working hard on teaching Samuel not to complain. I tell him it is not nice for mommy to hear, "Ew. I'm not having that for dinner!" every night. I also have been asking him to tell me something he is thankful for and likes instead. I haven't pulled out the "there are starving children around the world who would like to eat your soup" card yet. But there's still time.

So imagine my surprise when I sat down to dinner and Samuel turns to me and says, "Mommy, this is really good soup you made!" AND on top of that, he almost finished his bowl. Makes my heart proud:)

*The measurements of the recipe are kind of vague because my mom basically gave me the ingredients without measurements so I made it up:) *

Debbie's Pasta Fagioli (my mom gave me the recipe so she should get the credit!)

1 lb. gr beef or turkey (I used turkey)
diced onion (I am not a good judge of how much onion since I don't like much!)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2-1 cup chopped carrots
2 cans beef broth
2 cans diced tomatoes w/ garlic, oregano and basil seasoning
2 cans beans (I used 1 kidney, 1 cannellini)
1 jar Prego spaghetti sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ea of italian seasoning, garlic and herb seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes
2 cups dried noodles (used elbow)
Shredded parmesan cheese

Preparation
1. In a stockpan, brown meat in a TB of oil; add diced onion.
2. After meat is lightly browned (no longer pink), add chopped vegetables and cans of broth. Add tomatoes, beans and spaghetti sauce. Add seasonings and stir soup together. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. About 30 minutes before serving, add noodles and cook until noodles are done.
3. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese on top and fresh bread!

Next I should share my recipe for Pear Custard Pie, which we may or may not have had for dessert:)

1 comment:

Charity Yoder said...

That sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try. I'll have to send you my recipe for italian Wedding Soup. I usually don't like soups I make, but this one turned out quite yummy. I wonder if your boys would like it.

Followers