Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hallelujah!

Today was a momentous occasion! I bundled up my little crabbies after a delicious breakfast of Raspberry Applesauce Muffins (recipe below) and headed out into the bright sunshine. My eyes watered at the bright light after being caged up inside for a month...er, a week...okay a few days! My lungs inhaled the fresh crisp fall air. I stretched my legs and felt like a decent human being for the first time in a week!

Translated: The boys and I made a trip to the produce market today and got out of the house:) Sounded better the first time, didn't it?

We are finally mending! (I think!) I am afraid Samuel is catching a second round of this nasty cold/virus thing but praying not! I think after 8 days, my sore throat is finally leaving and I experienced my first headache free day! Can I get a woohoo?!

I am going to start taking some serious vitamins! I took the first steps in de-germing our home today. I ran around like a crazy lady disinfecting doorknobs, lightswitches, cabinets, my phone, the computer, anything I could with clorox wipes and lysol! Ben said the clean smell made him feel better already:)
`````````````````````````````````````````````
Zakkai is such a hoot these days, after his mad two-year old tantrums that is... Everytime he hears a strange loud noise coming from other apartments or outside, his eyes get really big and his voice gets serious and he says, "Mommy. Mommy, is that a dinosaur?!"

He also had a "snake" on his knee yesterday. I think I prefer "bees" to "snakes!" When he wants to do something independent or cute, he now tells me to look the other way or look at "Samel." But when I peek back, which I always do (!), he pretends to be bashful and grins at me. This child is going to be a class clown! Speaking of which...he saw a clown in a book the other day, asked what it was, and told daddy that he wanted to be one. Sigh.
``````````````````````````````````````````````
Samuel is ready for Christmas! I, oddly, got sent a JCPenney Christmas catalog a few weeks ago (seriously, Christmas when it's barely september?!) and he started looking through it and has picked out about 10 things he wants for Christmas and/or his birthday. (I hate to tell you, buddy, but you still have 9 months before your bday!) I think it's funny that he picked out very "boy" toy things: semi-trucks and radio controlled cars, train sets and matchbox car sets. I remember looking through the same catalog at my grandma's house when I was a little girl (this was back when you got Christmas catalogs in November, not for the 4th of July) and dreaming about barbies, dolls, dollhouses.....girlie things!

But can I admit to you? This goes no further than here. Samuel's excitement has caught on and I find myself excited about Thanksgiving and Christmas already! I am in a fall cooking, crafty, family, appley, pumpkiny mood anyways. Why not throw in some snow and a Christmas tree? (will someone please remind me about the endless days cooped up inside, the bitter wind, the frozen toes and fingers?)
````````````````````````````````````````````
While I go off and dream about shopping the day after Thanksgiving with my family (7 weeks away!), you can ponder this muffin recipe from Itty Bitty Bistro that I adapted slightly:)

Raspberry Applesauce Muffins
1 c. whole wheat flour (or 1/2 c. wheat, 1/2 c. white)
1 c. rolled oats (I used quick-cooking oats)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c. buttermilk (I never have buttermilk on hand, so use 1 c. reg. milk with a little lemon juice)
1/2 c. raspberry applesauce
1 eggn

Toppping:
1/4 c. flour
2-3 TB brown sugar
1 TB butter, cold

Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or line a muffin tin.
  • In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon. Stir in oats
  • In small bowl, combine brown sugar, buttermilk, applesauce and egg. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until JUST combined.
  • Divide batter among muffin cups. For streusal topping: combine flour and sugar. Sprinkle over muffin tops. Thinly slice and cube TB of butter and place a few little pieces on each muffin top.
  • Bake 18 min or until done. Enjoy! (I think the flavor comes out better when cool:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just an FYI: if Zakkai wants to be a clown, I can help him out with that. :) Seriously.

Followers