Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sick Husbands and Funny Boys

Warning: this post may or may not make sense due to the lack of sleep I had last night!

Let me say, first of all, that blood does not make me cringe, I can watch trauma stories (on tv), have held my little boy while he was throwing up but last night? When I saw Ben all drugged up on anesthesia, with an oxygen mask, throwing up blood (sorry), I went as white as a sheet and plopped myself right down in the chair. There's NO way they would've sent home a half drugged surgery patient with his fainting wife. Can't you just picture them pushing two wheelchairs side by side? Anways...

Ben was very sick last night and REALLY out of it. He was incredibly grumpy, which was funny because he is NEVER that way! All he wanted to do was sleep. He downplayed the whole thing before the surgery, acting like he was going to be able to walk home by himself (which you're not allowed to do!) an hour to hour and a half after surgery. Um, no. It took him 4 hours after surgery to be awake enough to be discharged. We got home around 8:45pm and it took awhile to get him settled in. We both slept off and on, in between doling out pain meds and getting drinks, etc. I slept out on the couch because I knew I wouldn't sleep a wink and would be staring at him the whole night making sure he was okay.....I didn't sleep well anyways:) He called out to me at about 1:00am. I leapt off the couch and flew into the room, with my heart beating a mile a minute....only to have him ask what time it was:)

He is doing well today, just very tired and in some pain. He's pretty swollen in his nose area, which is to be expected, but has great hope that the surgery worked and he will be able to breathe again! We appreciate all prayers for him as he recovers.

The boys are C.R.A.N.K.Y. today. I know, hard to believe! I think it's because it was a weird, long day yesterday, they got to bed later than normal and were up earlier than normal today. They were curious to see daddy this morning and to give him careful kisses:)

Here's a few funny things they've said in the past few days: Yesterday when I was getting Z dressed for the day, I put on some dk blue/grey striped socks and he lifted up his foot and said, quite happily, "It's my wittle zebra toes!" Everything is "wittle" these days. (little) He points out big "wittle" dogs, his "wittle" legs, "wittle" pieces of food, etc...

Samuel asked the other day why daddy needed a pickle to play his guitar with! He was very offended when I laughed because he was very serious:) He has also been very imaginative lately. He travels places on his bicycle and in his Thomas tent. Usually he goes to Turkey! Or Boston or Albuquerque... (all places Ben has traveled this past year)

And Zakkai is such a talker! I took him with me to a dr.'s appt last week and he talked the ENTIRE way there, in the waiting room, the whole way home...He talked about the buses, cars, museums, going to 'hio, oranges. Pretty much anything that came to mind! And of course, he charmed the nurse and the doctor:)

I hope you're all having a good tuesday. I'm off to catch a small nap while ALL my boys are down....

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

Yikes! I hope Ben's post-op mending is going quickly. We've had some faint-y times at the hospital recently too :)

Followers