Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Picnics

Two and a half hours ago, I was sitting under a huge tree, covered in shade, with the leaves above me rusting in the wind. Next to me on the warm grass, sat two of the cutest little blond-headed, blue-eyed boys I've ever seen. We were munching on picnicky foods: cheese, bananas, grape tomatoes, bagels, and watermelon slices. Did anyone ever tell you as a child that if you ate one of the black seeds in a watermelon, a watermelon would grow in your stomach? It happened to me! Someone telling me about the seed, that is....not growing one in my stomach:) That memory popped in my head as I watched my two precious boys munch on their juicy, dripping, red, ripe watermelon slices. They looked so happy, so content sitting there with their red stained chins and blue baseball hats. It was peaceful (except for the sound of LSD traffic in the backround:), one of those times when I felt like such a good mother. I was creating memories, not only for myself to treasure, but for my little boys. I hope when they grow up, they say to me, "Remember, mom, when we used to have picnics outside sometimes? That was really fun!"

I want to treasure these moments with my boys, my gifts from God! I am thankful for sunshine, and grass, beautiful days, and picnics and most of all, little sweet boys that smell like the outdoors and have sticky hands!

No comments:

Followers