Thursday, December 2, 2010

Missing Home

I miss Home tonight. As in my home state where I grew up. Where 22 years of my memories are. Where (most) of my family is.

Really though I could care less about the corn fields (we have plenty here) or the gray weather (I never realized Ohio was so cloudy!), the slow drivers (seriously, sloooooooowwww. Chicago road rage speaking..) having to drive everywhere instead of walk.....

It's the people I miss. I have missed out on a lot of memories with my family in the past 7 years. Parties, get-togethers, Buckeye games, game nights, or "just because" visits. I miss my mom. My sister. My cousin (even though she lives in TX now:(. My grandma and grandpa. Bear hugs from my aunts and uncles.

Living away from home hasn't been all bad. In fact, it has changed who I am. I am stronger now. I learned how to rely on God and formed a very intricate bond with my husband because I had no one else to lean on. I learned how to get outside of my comfort zone. How to make friends. How to survive some intensely stressful situations.

But I also know what it is like to lose friends or have them move away. And how lonely it can be. And how children are meant to be raised with lots of family around. How important family is.

When I go home, I see that even though I have changed and even though home and everyone in it has changed, I still have a place where I belong.

It could be that it's Thanksgiving/Christmas time which always brings on a little homesickness for me. It could be that I am very tired and have had a tough few days. It could be that I just have a wonderful family and they are missable! All I know is:

I miss Home tonight.

2 comments:

Charity said...

I miss you too! I know I haven't been away from Ohio as long as you have, but I do understand what you mean. I know I'm lucky that I do have my immediate family with me, but it is hard knowing that there are parties and get together's going on with friends and family that we have to miss out on. Seeing you survive a move to another state and how it changed and molded you into the strong woman you are did give me the confidence that I could move across the country and still thrive and that I would probably end up being a stronger person because of it.

grandma said...

Oh my... you and Charity could make me cry. I know what you both are feeling. My Auntie moved to Chicago and left all her family back in Ohio. So when we came to live with her and uncle in Chicago we left all our families. I think thats why I feel so strong about family being together. It was so hard we would have thanksgiving and Christmas alone. Oh such memories. Never the less you both are such strong beautiful blessed ladies. Sure do Love you.

Followers