Sunday, June 12, 2011

Peace

Dum-da-da-dum!! It's me again! Having spotty internet is driving me crazy because I really love to update my blog everyday and share pictures. It's become such a part of my daily routine and to have it change drives me nuts! Only a few more days...

We have been working hard all weekend to unpack and make our new place a "home." I'd say we're about 90% there! I really can't wait to share it with you by video in a few days. I convinced the hubs to hang things today. That always makes a place feel a little more homey, don't you think?

The boys really love the place. They spent the entire morning outside today soaking up the sunshine and cool air. They squirted each other with tiny water squirter animals (that was such a great description, wasn't it?), played tag, made hats out of paper bowls, played with a big box that I unpacked....They begged me not to throw the box away and I couldn't resist, especially considering how one of my favorite children's books in the world is "Christina Katerina and the Box." (written by my very own great aunt!)

Ben and I have worked hard to save a rug that about bit the dust. Somehow something very wet (as opposed to not very wet?) spread all over the rug we laid down in the basement and we couldn't find any other water damage anywhere so we don't know where it came from. It didn't dry due to the lack of air circulation down there and started to smell so I dragged out the trusty and wonderful "Little Green" machine and spent an hour cleaning it last night while Ben worked on organizing his office. It really was my ploy to get him down there organizing;) Okay, except the stinky rug part...

We laid it out in the sunshine to dry, turning it over like a hot dog on a spit and aside from a faint smell, I think it will survive. Nothing that a little baking soda and febreze won't cover!

Aren't you glad I shared that with you?

Now that we have that covered....Eliana is doing great. I can't remember if I mentioned that she had a hard time the first several days here adjusting to her room and the changes. She cried a lot when we laid her down at bedtime and for naps (well, what little naps we squeezed in between school-runs!) but now is as happy as a clam! She has the cutest, most perfect little room for her! It struck me today that she is only a week away from turning 8 months. I feel like I blink and another month goes by...

She is rocking on her hands and knees a lot and trying to mouth everything in sight! She started eating puffs yesterday and it is just adorable to watch her try to get them into her mouth. She always seems a little surprised at the taste but really enjoys them:) Hopefully when things settle down after school ends this week, I can start feeding her more foods.

I know it sounds crazy to most people that we're still in school! Sounds crazy to me, too..... We don't start til after Labor Day and get out later in June. The sad part is that the new school starts in August and ended over a week ago so we are losing an entire month of summer this year. Wow. I will have to make the most of our two months of freedom!

We took a long walk this afternoon around the neighborhood, just soaking in the peaceful quietness of suburban life. It.is.wonderful. I don't think I would've appreciated it so much if I hadn't had almost 6 years in the city.

Sidewalks that aren't falling to pieces, grass...green grass, children riding bikes, rabbits in people's yards, the feeling of safety, no screaming ambulances or roaring buses, friendly people that actually smile back at you...

Wow. It's a lot to process. We are really thankful!

4 comments:

Grandma W said...

So glad each time you post. Sounds like you all are really enjoying your new home....and after all, what's not to enjoy? It is a very nice place in a very nice neighborhood. I love you all.

Melissa Baird said...

So glad to hear you are settling in, Heidi! Hang in there and thanks for all the updates. BTW, we are on S week...I THINK we might make it to the end of the alphabet before kindergarten starts in the fall :) You continue to inspire me!

Charity said...

Yeah! Can't wait to see video so that I can picture y'all in your new home.

grandma said...

I'm with Charity can hardly wait for the pictures. So glad you will be up and running tomorrow. Isn't it funny (maybe not the right word) how we take forgranted our life in the suburbs and the beauty of seeing grass, bunnys etc. That was a eye opening for me to hear.

Followers