Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kindergarten

Today was a really special day for us! Samuel "graduated" from kindergarten. Except they don't call it graduation anymore. It is a "kindergarten celebration."


You won't judge me if I call it graduation, will you?

Samuel was SO nervous about today because they were secretly preparing for this big show for all the parents. He would start to sing songs and then clap his hands over his mouth and say, "Oh, I forgot! I can't sing that, it's a secret!"

You should've seen all the 5 and 6 year olds dressed in button down shirts, ties, frilly dresses, shiny shoes, curly hair and in one case, a fedora:) There are two kindergarten classes at the school, the English class and the Dual class (Spanish). They lined up at the back of the auditorium and some music started playing and one kid from each class danced their way up the aisle, stopped at the front and did a funny pose or motion (ex. flexing muscles) and then climbed up the stairs at each end of the stage, did another quick pose and sat on the floor of the stage.

I thought for sure Samuel was going to freak out and not go but he marched down the aisle, did a little pose, climbed right up on stage and did perfectly! SO cute. And the cutest part (to me) was that half his shirt was untucked and hanging out of his pants;) We tried to get a picture of him posing but it turned out blurry:(

But not to fear! I have some cute videos and pictures to come as soon as the much-anticipated home internet comes! I admit that I was a teensy bit teary off and on today, reflecting on how much my Samuel has changed and grown this past year.

He faced many challenges and situations where he was afraid he wouldn't succeed and yet he did! He learned SO many things, made tons of friends, captured the heart of his teacher and kept marching forward time and time again despite fears and anxieties of the unknown.

I am SO incredibly proud of my big (little) boy and how far he has come. He told me tonight that he wished he could be in kindergarten every day:)
```````````````````````````````````

In the car on the way home, B and I were talking about how big Zakkai has gotten (he was actually quiet at the moment staring out the window) and I turned around and said, "Zakkai, can you do me a REALLY big favor?" He looked at me very suspiciously at first but then I said, "I need you to STOP growing up, okay?" He immediately smiled and said, "I can't! My body just keeps growing and growing and it can't stop!"

I replied, "But I need you and Samuel to stop growing and stay little and still hold my hand and snuggle and sit on my lap and give me biiiiiigggg hugs!" A sweet voice from the bag piped up and said, "We will still do those things when we grow up, mommy!"

It's going by so quickly and I feel like I am trying to grasp sand that is falling through my fingers as I try to frantically soak in all the beauty (and challenging times!) of these days.

A wise person once told me, before I had kids, that having children was one of the most wonderful, beautiful and painful things that can ever happen to you! They can fill your heart and break your heart so easily.

I understand now. My heart is entirely full tonight of joy that is bittersweet.

~An emotional Mama

2 comments:

Grandma W said...

...and then one day you wake up - and they have their own family...yes, how quickly the time goes. Just enjoy each and every day - one memory at a time. I love you all.

grandma said...

Then one day you wake up and they have their own family and then those gramdchildren have their kidos and then your called GrandmaGreat. OH my how time flies. Special times.

Followers