Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Christmas

My boys are a bit unusual, in that they don't ask for a whole lot for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a reprieve from, "Can I have that?! or "Can we buy that, plleeeeeaaaaassseee?"

But it's also strange. I remember sitting with the JCPenney catalog at my Grandma's house and spending the longest time picking out which special toys I wanted. Not that I remember getting any of the stuff I marked......hmmm.

Anyways, it makes it hard to come up with a small list for anyone who asks! I tend to buy things they need or toys that I hope will last a long time and not be "yesterday's smash hit" in 3 months and relegated to the shelves.

On Black Friday, I'd say my favorite place we went was to Once Upon A Child! They were offering 20% off of everything; a better deal than any of the other lame-o stores. I got a few clothes for my ever-growing Samuel and then I found the greatest deal!

A huge Lincoln Log set for only $10!!!




Eliana and I got it out today and counted the pieces. 263 pieces!! Do you have any idea how much lincoln log cost?? I figure if the boys don't end up playing with it, I can always turn around and sell it for a whole lot more than I bought it on ebay. Good deal!

Another reason I am glad that the boys aren't begging for lots of things is because I want them (and me!) to keep the real meanings of Christmas in mind. Not to be bamboozled and wowed by all the things that we just have to have. I mean, apparently every child and their brother is asking for an ipad this Christmas or new phones, or gaming systems or other crazy stuff. We don't have a money tree in the backyard and I don't want my kids thinking "getting stuff" is what it's all about. I want them to have good memories and get some things they want and I know the people who love them get pleasure out of giving them gifts. Goodness, I love giving gifts!!

I just hope we can find a good way to give this Christmas. To honor the One whom this season is really all about. To keep the focus on Jesus, on loving the people around us and spending time with our family.

3 comments:

GRANDMA said...

wASN'T IT FUN WHEN WE HAD THE SEARS OR JCP CATALOGS.. iT WAS SO FUN TO CIRCLE WHAT YOU WANTED FOR cHRISTMAS..I DONT SUPPOSE WE EVER GOT JUST WHAT YOU WANTED BUT IT WAS FUN TO DREAM..IM A DREAMER SO I LOVED THAT CATALOG..LOVE THAT YOU FOUND DEALS THIS THANKSGIVING..DIDNT WE HAVE A GREAT TIME1 LOVE YOU

Aunt t said...

It's a blessing that your boys aren't into things yet! You give them smiles because you are good at planning family funtime! You make life fun and exciting!
As they grow older, friends will influence them a bit, but they'll find out what is really important in life because of your Godly example to them!

grandma said...

Amen Aunt T

Followers