Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winter

I like being busy. I like having the feeling of accomplishment; being proud of my productiveness for the day! I love being a mommy and doing all of the mommy things I do each day. I like having friends and getting together with them or having them over in my home. I like being involved with children's church and caring for and teaching those sweet little innocents. I like helping others and really try to be available for my friends when I can and feel really guilty when I can't. I really like taking Samuel to preschool everyday where he is thriving so much. And most of the time I like running a household and doing "householdy" things like grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. I like doing a lot of things that I do in my busy, everday life.

I also like being not busy. I like quietness. I like a little solitude. I like escaping from hectic life, stepping away from the hurried pace. I like hot chocolate with a whole lot of whipped cream on the top. I like sitting, curled up on the couch, and reading a book. I like the simplicity and calming effects of sewing, quilting or knitting. I love a rare weekend when the phone doesn't ring, the texts don't beep and we can "hide" away as a family in our pajamas all day if we want and do puzzles or hang out. I like having soft Christmas music playing in the backround, smelling the aroma of homemade soup bubbling on the stove or in the crockpot and feeling safe and warm inside.


There is nothing like having sick children to make you appreciate different aspects of your life. I'm not sure at this point if I will lead a normal busy life with happy quiet moments again until the snow melts away for the final time in May. I should be thankful, I suppose, that if I am to be quarantined in my home for weeks on end with all sorts of nasty diseases circulating around, I should be glad I have many unfinished projects to work on and old books to reread and lots of floors to mop and noses to wipe and children to entertain...........Of course who has time to even think about such things when you are so darned tired from not sleeping and your poor children are so miserable? Did I mention Zakkai has now gone into an ear infection on top of everything else he has suffered from in the past week? Is winter almost over yet?

*My two healthy boys; pre-sickness. Ah..I miss those days!

No comments:

Followers