Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Candyland Man

An hour ago, I was standing in the kitchen preparing a picnic dinner, listening to the sounds of 3 of my favorite people in the world play Candyland. Zakkai, who won the first game, was pushed up to the table in his booster seat, continually turning around to give me updates. "Mohmmy (that's how it sounds when he says it), Mohmmy, I playin' a game!" or "Mohmmy, I get two yellows!" or "Mohmmy, you makin' a picnic?"

Our original plan was to take a picnic outside but that was suddenly waylaid by a summer thunderstorm rolling in. So we put our brilliant parent-how-do-I-break-the-news-to the boys minds together and decided to have a picnic in the living room. We laid out our picnic blanket and set our simple picnic dinner down and lounged around enjoying each other's company. There's nothing like a picnic to make little mouths devour food. I swear I could've put down chopped broccoli and cauliflower and they would have gobbled it up! Okay, that was an outright lie. The day my children willingly inhale broccoli and cauliflower on a picnic is the day I....well, I'll......I'll eat it, too! Have I mentioned that I really don't like cauliflower? No? Honestly I haven't tried it in years but I have memories of choking it down as a child with large gulps of milk to disguise the taste. It never worked. Although I try that very same method with my children...Oh, right, I'm getting sidetracked.

Our leisurely picnic was followed by tickling in the daddy jungle tent (it must be a boy thing) while I cleaned up, relishing the delighted shrieking and laughter of my precious little boys. It was a night memories are made of.

No comments:

Followers