Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring Flowers and Crepes

Two days in a row of partial sunshine have given me the hope that spring just may come to Chicago this year! It's always a risky thing in April to believe in spring or summertime, given that one day might be sunny and 70 and the next might be snowy and 37! So I decided to liven up my blog with spring flowers in the faithful hope that spring will come. Soon.

Samuel tells us that he misses Florida. The boys were slightly cagey this week from being cooped up after so many days of fresh air and exercise!

3 special men that fill my life with joy and contentment.


A picture of all the golf carts parked at one of the town squares. Samuel was asking me this week why we can't ride golf carts in Chicago. I thought of a few reasons 1)We would all die 2)People are too impatient around here to take the time to putter around in a golfcart.

I just chose to tell him that chicago wasn't made for golfcarts like Florida was. I still think he's considering retiring there....

`````````````````````````````````````````````

We had crepes for our breakfast dinner tonight! I chose it because it is one of the boys' (esp Samuel) very favorite dinners! I don't do crepes very often because it is extremely time-consuming. I have to make the crepe batter and cook them, make sausage links, eggs, vanilla pudding, cut up fruit.... The nice thing is that we always have leftovers from our breakfast dinners and have a yummy breakfast the next morning!

I will share the recipe for the homemade vanilla pudding I use for the fruit crepes!

Homemade Vanilla Pudding

3 TB flour

1/3 cup sugar

4 tsp cornstarch

1 dash salt

2 cups milk

2 egg yolks

1 TB butter

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preparation:

1. Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Add milk gradually. Cook, stirring, over low heat until thickened. This will take several minutes; do NOT rush this stage!

2. Blend about half of milk mixture into the egg yolks in another bowl. Pour yolk mixture back into saucepan with rest of milk mixture. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

3. Add vanilla and butter and stir until mixed in. Cool. We serve this on crepes with cut up bananas and strawberries! Also good just for dessert:)

No comments:

Followers