Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Why I Blog

I was totally inspired by this post, written by my eloquent friend, Angela. I totally resinated with many of the things she said about why she started a blog and why others should too. I turned away with the question ringing in my heart, "Why do I blog?"

I, like many other people, started my blog to keep family and friends that don't live close by up to date on our very exciting life, er, I mean updated on the boys. Yes, that's it! It started out with pictures and silly little, wonderful stories. But on my end, it quickly escalated into comparisons. I read other blogs, in my newly formed blog addiction, and actually felt pangs of jealously that these other women had huge followings and actually got comments on their posts! They were witty, charming, thoughtful, inspiring...you name it. I would go back to my blank screen and stare at the blinking cursor just waiting for a brilliant brainstorm to hit me. I felt discouraged for awhile and thought about quitting since I didn't think anyone was reading it anyways.

I needed to find my own writing style. Not copying off of MckMama or Pioneer woman (who makes me laugh outloud). Not forcing coherant (which is tough for me these days!) and beautiful, inspiring thoughts like Angela or coming up with some dramatic story like so many others out there. I am me! I am living life here in a big city, away from family whom I miss, trying to honor God while loving a busy student and raising two crazy, adorable little boys. It may not be dramatic (thankfully!), it may not always be funny but it's real life. And it's my life.

And so I write about my silly little boys and the silly little things that they do so I can remember all the little details when they get older and my mind can't recapture these days quite as easily. I, like my friend above, soak in all of the little colors of my days. How my boys smell after their bath, their bright eyes as they smile at me, their soft little lips as they speak words of innocence and their tears of anguish when they behave badly or are ornery, which rarely happens but still...I am much more observant now to the things they say or do, thinking about the possible story to be recorded and shared here, a sweet memory to remember some day. And sometimes I write a little bit about me.

I love to write. I have always journaled, during the worst of times and during the best of times. I was introduced to the amazing world of creative writing when I was 10 years old by my all-time favorite teacher, Mrs. Fenner. And lately, as I get more and more comfortable expressing myself here, on my own little turf, I find the desire to create and weave stories rising up in my heart again. I feel the longing to create words that evoke laughter, thoughtfulness, and emotion in my readers. I really enjoy it, especially when I forget about what everyone else might think about me or what I write and I am just myself. Just plain old me!

And you know what? It's much more fun that way...

1 comment:

Angela Kim said...

I'm so glad you blog, my friend. I love your writing, your photos, your ideas, your creativity, your parenting, your growing, your wisdom, your love and your honesty. You inspire me.

Followers