Friday, February 6, 2009

Learning from a child

This morning Samuel had a bit of an attitude problem (a little talking back and grumpiness, etc) and the last straw was taking toys from brother and giving mommy a little lip. So Mr. Samuel found himself in time-out for a few minutes (more on time out later!). After a few minutes, I let him get down and told him to come talk to me. He crawled up and sat on my lap (because 3 1/2 year olds are definitely NOT too big for mommy's lap!) and I talked to him about his attitude and how I thought we needed to pray to Jesus about his heart. He nodded and closed his eyes and this is what he said in the softest voice,

"Dear Lord Jesus, help me to be kind to mommy, and daddy, and Zakkai and please help my heart to be nice. In Jesus' name..amen."

I think I need to pray that prayer more often! More and more I am hearing from Samuel about God and Jesus and praying and I think he is getting closer to the age where he hopefully will accept Him into his heart. That makes me SO excited!! I love that he was willing to pray for a change in his heart, just like his daddy has always been so willing to do, and I hope he continues that practice!

And as for time-out, I have seen it in a different light lately. I always used to see it as a punishment for unacceptable behavior but more and more I am also seeing it as a chance for the boys, esp Samuel who is older, to have a chance to chill-out and be removed from a situation that is causing trouble. Sometimes we all need a little breather from each other or some situation and that's not necessarily a bad thing! Sometimes if Samuel is leading up to a point where we might have to take action, I will ask him, "Samuel, do you need to sit out for awhile?" Of course he answers "no!" but the behavior often stops. I think there is a difference between time-out and sitting-out. A punishment vs taking a breather/stepping back from the situation. And I am encouraged by that because I don't always want to be punishing my children every 5 minutes for things. I want them to learn to think about their behavior as they get older and make a decision to step back and change their attitude or behavior or go ahead with it and receive the consequences (hopefully the former!). So those are my thoughts:)

And randomly, I know there haven't been many pictures lately but my camera is full to the max and I need to empty the pictures onto a CD but am not up to making that trip yet and I highly doubt Ben wants to add that to his list! So more pictures of my angels will come when I free up the camera!

My pain has been improving little by little, which is wonderful! I still have to take it easy and rest a lot but I see a light at the end of the tunnel! Ben has been SO wonderful during this. Here's a true test of love; caring for your spouse in a time of illness or injury. My dearest husband has been running errands, doing laundry for the first time in 3 years, helping dress and feed the boys, fetching heat packs, cleaning.....and here's a secret: I think he's kind of enjoying some of it, too!! He says he wants to help more even when I get better:) What a guy!

And friends have been AWESOME and have been helping to bring dinners sometimes which is such a stress-reliever and one friend even came to play with the boys for awhile:) Having friends around helps so much since our families aren't here. I am so thankful and only pray I can be the same kind of friend when someone I know is hurt or sick. What a way to show love!

1 comment:

Angela Kim said...

such a sweet child you have, no doubt due to your wonderful raising. love the prayer. so glad you have some friends helping you out...wish we were there too. love, angela

Followers