Friday, January 30, 2009

Worrying

Why is it that mothers always worry? Even when we don't have anything to worry about, we find something! Sometimes I feel like something is "wrong" if I'm not worrying. I really should be so thankful for the health and happiness of my children but instead I spend so much time fearing the unknown; always afraid that something is going to happen to them.

I don't want to spend these years worrying about the "what if's", instead entrusting the precious lives of my sons to our very big, loving God. And I most definitely do not want to pass this hereditary trait on to my children! I would love to set an example for my boys of someone who always takes their cares and worries straight to the Lord and LEAVES THEM THERE!!!

It always reminds me of a neighbor that Ben and I used to have back in Indiana, who was 89 years old. She was the sweetest lady, although with a very strong personality! She had a fierce love for her family which you noticed as soon as you walked into her home. Her walls were literally covered with photos of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. She had buried her husband and one son only a few years before. I was very pregnant with Samuel, sitting at her table sipping tea one afternoon when I happened to mention something I was worrying about. She looked at me incredulously and said, "Why?" I said, "Why what?" She exclaimed energetically, like I was 4 years old, "Why in the world are you worrying?! Honey, as soon as I find something to worry about, I hand it over to the Lord and leave it there! He offers to take it so why am I gonna take it back?!"

I will never forget my sweet neighbor who taught me a seemingly simple, invaluable and yet very difficult lesson that day: "Cast all of your cares on Him for He cares for You."

I just hope it doesn't take until I'm 90 to learn this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May be when I am 90 I'll be like you sweet neighbor. I still can fall into the worry thing. I'm so much better but I try to remember God gives us this day and not to take on tomorrow. Its a daily prayer.

Followers