Wednesday, September 10, 2014

School and Furniture Re-do's!

 Week one of crazy change is done! I feel like I am barely hanging on. It has been SO incredibly overwhelming this past week with new schools/preschool, unpacking, trying to get back into a semblance of routines and schedules, hunting for a used car, etc. Yesterday I had to give myself a little grace and remind myself that it's only been a week and we are adjusting to so much in a short time. I am working hard on getting us into routine so our afternoons and evenings will run a little smoother.

As for school, the kiddos are adjusting really well this week! Last week was pretty tough. There were tears and tummy aches and lots of "I want to move back to Chicago's" floating around but it started to ease at the end of the week. It has been easier for the boys to go to school this week and they are starting to make a few friends and feel a little more comfortable. We are still trying to figure out the school and what they expect in terms of homework, etc. It will just take time! (breathe, Heidi!)


Here are the kiddos on their first day of school! We were all so tired!


This is Eliana's cubby at her preschool. She goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and seems to be enjoying it so far. She loves her new Princess Sofia backpack:)


This is E on her first day of school! She almost refused to smile for me but at the last minute she relented:)

Here is the school bus! The boys still aren't huge fans of riding it but I admit that it makes things much easier to have them go straight to school and come straight home. It's pretty cute to see their cute faces smiling and waving to us from the window:)


And now for some furniture re-do's! I got a few small cans of paint and decided to brighten up some of our furniture! Most of our furniture is old, hand-me downs or eclectic. The first to get a makeover was our bed! It was given to us and I'm just not a huge fan of dark brown. My mom's been trying to convince me to paint it white for a long time but I just wasn't sure how that would look. I finally gave in...


It took a lot of primer to cover the dark wood!


Here it is white! I actually really like it! It makes the bed fade into the background instead of being a huge focal point.

The spindals were so hard to paint but it was worth it!



Next was a cute little bookshelf that my cousin and I bought at a garage sale back when we lived together. We got it for only $1! It has been repainted a few times and put into different rooms. In Chicago, this was my "pantry" in the basement but now it's in Eliana's room!


And now it's purple! She picked the color ("Magical") and her dresser will also be painted when I get the chance.


It's a very pretty pinky-purple color, kind of like her glasses!


I also wanted to add a splash of color into our kitchen/dining room area. We have a kitchen island that was white....

And now it's blue! It's actually a blue/slightly aqua color that I just love!


It holds our "Junk drawer" (doesn't everyone have one?!) and our Tupperware.


We also have a bookshelf in our kitchen for my cookbooks and kid's dishes. It was white and looking pretty rundown.



But now it's all spruced up! I haven't finished putting everything back onto the shelves but I will soon! I just love seeing pretty color in the house after so many years of white, white, white!


This pretty much sums up how tiring this past week has been...;)


Waiting for brothers at the bus stop! I think she looks so much older here. Sniff!


Eliana got a beautiful purple dress from my aunt and she wore it on Sunday to church. She got lots of compliments!

Today my mom and niece picked E and I up and we went to story time at the local library! It was really well done and I am excited to go back. Eliana was hesitant to participate but started doing handmotions to the songs towards the end. It was a nice way to pass part of our morning! (It gets very boring being stuck here with no car!)

That's it for today. I am still trying to organize enough to take pictures of our place but it's coming! Now I'm off to make dinner before Awana tonight. Always something!

3 comments:

Charity said...

Love seeing that old book shelf still standing strong.

Emily and Frank said...

1. I've been thinking and praying of you often the past few weeks, especially that you are starting to feel settled and at home.
2. The furniture looks great!
3. That picture of E in her new fancy dress is PRECIOUS- love it!!

Aunt Terri said...

Your bed looks so pretty!

Followers