Monday, June 1, 2015

My very favorite before and after!!


I learned something this past week. I sometimes have brilliant, genius ideas....in the middle of the night;) It's often my favorite time to think or write because I am more relaxed, I guess, or something. One night last week I was up because Samuel was up in the night feeling very sick (he got a little overheated from spending too much time outside in the hot sun) and while I was up off and on checking on him and wondering if this warranted a middle of the night urgent care visit, I had an idea. An awfully, brilliant idea!
 
And then I forgot about it. Until I remembered to tell Ben about it a day later and was surprised when even he agreed it was great! Ready to see it??
 


 
So this was our entertainment center. We bought it off of some friends probably about 8 years ago when they were moving away from Chicago. It was absolutely perfect for our 17x20 ft living room! And for all these years, it has served us well as a tv stand, book holder, dvd and cd collector and toy storage.
 
Until we moved into our current place which has a very small, narrow living room. Suddenly our perfect entertainment center became not so perfect anymore. In fact, it totally dwarfed the room! It took a week or so to get Ben to agree to try to sell it and I had 2 very interested buyers but for some reason both of them (despite at least 5 exchanges with each) couldn't commit to actually coming to get it!
 
So it went in the garage sale. And the price got marked down until we were practically desperate! And people touched it, looked in the doors, admired it....and no one bought it. So it was one of the items left behind after our 2nd attempted garage sale day. We even put a free sign on it! But at the last minute, I had my brilliantly brilliant idea.....
 
What if....we used the top of it and turned it into a sewing table for me? I was told we could buy legs and attach them easily. But after taking it all apart, I couldn't part with the two side pieces and one good idea led to another until....
 
 
 
Ta Da!! My stepdad and Ben were my willing partners in this adventure! This table took just under 4 hours from start to finish and was entirely FREE!!
 
 


We cut down the 2 side panels to make the sides of the table. They already had legs attached so they were perfect! Plus they are beautiful wood:)


We made shelves!! My stepdad was a genius in helping us put this together (he works with wood and had all the tools needed!) so everything is very sturdy and built to last.


Gleaming in the sunshine!!


Now in its new home! We built it Saturday afternoon but couldn't pick it up until yesterday because we had the wrong car with us. And let's just say, for the record, that Ben and I absolutely should never move furniture together. Every marriage has its limits and that's ours! Somehow, by the grace of God, we got it up the stairs and while dinner was cooking in the oven, I happily arranged my sewing supplies!

I have a small bookshelf also to the left with all of my fabric and patterns, since it doesn't all fit in the shelves. But oh, I am thrilled to pieces over this! Can I just tell you that this is the first time I will be able to sew with my legs under the table?? I was using a piece of furniture that is not meant for sewing so I would sit sideways to sew! Reeeeaaaally comfortable;)

It's hard to describe how I feel about my new space but suffice it to say, I am really really happy! And feeling the creative juices flowing. Yea to furniture repurposing!!!

2 comments:

dwilliams said...

Wow amazing! What a wonderful way to repurpose something that has many memories (I can remember seeing it in 3 of your Chicago living rooms :) and make new memories sewing there! Love it! And your other furniture projects look great! :-)

dwilliams said...

Wow amazing! What a wonderful way to repurpose something that has many memories (I can remember seeing it in 3 of your Chicago living rooms :) and make new memories sewing there! Love it! And your other furniture projects look great! :-)

Followers